Feedback Speakers corner Update

Discussion in 'Headquarters Archive' started by Artisan, Mar 24, 2016.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artisan

Artisan Team Leader Team RisingCities

Hello Mayors,

We are always thinking about what we can do to make this forum a more pleasant place.:):)

We thought about having some games so that you can have some fun while your cities grow.;)

We are asking you to give us your positive or negative opinion about Speakers corner Update.

Thank you so much.

2. Arsuru

Arsuru User

I appreciate trying to make it more lively here. I usually don't participate much in such games, however, though they aren't usually too much of a bother either. What I don't like is their location. That many pinned in topics the board with the most traffic is quite unsightly, especially as it isn't unimaginable that the number will grow. I've noticed that there is often little consistency between forums. For a time, if I recall, games weren't even allowed here, while other languages have had them for years, and allowed users to create them. The French board has them in Speaker's Corner, unpinned, while the German board has them in the actual game section already present on the forum, which makes the most sense and I find preferable, but here that section has been rarely used for "official" games.

3. Artisan

Hello Arsuru,

We are trying to make some changes around this forum, and the changes will be that in the Game Corner we will have contests with rewards, and so, that will be the difference: the games with no prizes or rewards stay at Speaker's Corner, and the contests will go to Game Corner.
    Also, from now on, you have got the Mayors chat where you can have all the subjects discussed, instead of opening isolated threads for each subject.

Thank you for your opinion!

4. Arsuru

Arsuru User

Pinning official contests while they are relevant would keep them separate from forum games if they were in the game section easily enough, and they could be unpinned and locked/archived once over to keep things tidy and keep forum games at the top. Though general chit-chat threads are fine, they can get unwieldily and I don't think pinning one makes up for the screen space taken by other pinned threads. Plus, if one wants to watch the whole Speaker's Corner forum, they may be inconvenienced by constant updates from games they might not even partake in. Frankly, it isn't very user-friendly to put games — which often amount to little more than spamming — outside of a dedicated section.

That aside, what about player-created games? Are they allowed? Because, now that there are games, they will probably come anyway, so better they fill a dedicated spot.

That is all I can really say to object on the matter.

And if I may make a correction, the game title "Nor yes, nor no" should be "Neither yes, nor no". "Neither yes or no" sounds a bit more casual.

In English, such negations generally must start with "neither". "Either… x or x" and "neither… x nor x" are usually only used when there are only two alternatives (though this varies). Unlike possible correlations in some other languages ("Soit a soit b soit c" or "Ni x ni y ni z", for ex.), the use of more than one "nor" is usually more emphatic rather than the normal way of expression, and such correlatives will almost never begin with "or" or "nor" in normal English usage as the thread title does. It may be found in poetic or stylized writing, but it isn't common by any means.

I only point this out because it's the title of a thread (thus relatively important) and it's particularly awkward.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  5. Artisan

Thank your opinions.

As this thread has no longer participants we will close it and send it to the Archive section, where you can read it whenever you want.

oie_7nlpHnukAAqD.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.