Admin pricing interference

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by pdxnomad68, Sep 14, 2014.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My game is basically deserted. I only come once a day or two. Still play events, but even that seems to make less and less sense. Just waiting if they come with something that will put some life into the game. In the mean time, there is a life after RC .......... lol :)

wizardelo likes this.
  2. harley9883

harley9883 User

Your assessment is absolutely correct. The Barley price is completely controlled by the BP admin at this point. You can buy as many 250 unit offers as you wish and there is always another one available at the same price.

A couple of months or so ago, BP artificially drove-down the brickyard prices as well. Brinks went from 4000+CC down to as low as 300cc. Flour Tiles went from 5-6000CC down to approximately 1200cc. The 'lowest priced' brickyard products that occurred that day only lasted for a few hours, but BP's over-all plan to break the extraordinary HIGH PRICE cycle in the Market Place worked for a couple of months or so.

We are now seeing the same excessively high prices again in the market place. The last time BP artificially drove-down brickyard prices, I had no real CC in reserve to take advantage of the artificially low prices. I'm prepared for the next one (it will be soon), by keeping 30 million CC on hand when it happens again.

3. Geflin

Geflin User

Excellent comments regarding supply & demand economics ;) For many reasons I agree with the needs for increased production in either (or both) number of facilities and output. Do not want to hijack thread, and want to see what everyone has to say on THAT...so starting a new thread for it.

4. billyjim

billyjim User

Lets look at this from a realistic and practical stand point. We are all being selfish for the wrong reason. YES the game creators have placed restrictions on prices and production of products. This has been done to maintain a certain level of challenge in the game with out the game either going into a spiraling inflationary or deflationary cycle. If there were no price control in our limited production system (current situation) prices would go through the roof and be completely out of reach for most if not all players. If production were to become unrestricted then prices would collapse and it would not be worth while to produce and sell the items. Therefore, there needs to be some form of controls in this artificial system to maintain order and keep the situation interesting.

Could there be improvements yes. But a whole sale over turning of the current system is not what is needed but some slight adjustments to the levels in my opinion.

5. Geflin

Geflin User

Well said, Sir;) Price controls have long been a part of economics...and sometimes they actually do serve purposes (like keeping the system from crashing). Increased production, of course, does not mean unlimited production. Slight adjustments would work fine, as long as those adjustments do not undermine the system...and maybe this would eliminate the need for (wholesaler) subsidized markets. One more thing: if there were a more consistent NEED for barley (things other than brown ale) then the marketplace would sell more and the admin would not have to fake it to keep that on the market.

6. billyjim

billyjim User

Maybe the long lost Developers can get around to finding an additional use for Barley than Dark Ale. Maybe we could use barley to increase production of milk, cheese or egg production at the ranch or dairy.

7. Arsuru

Arsuru User

You know, it's also used for pilsner, but who makes that? Though I'd think having only two things that need it would keep the price relatively low, which it is, really, but I doubt many use ale or pilsner. I sure don't, even if I make them occasionally.

8. skb13

skb13 User

Interesting discussion here. I will confess to not having read it all, but to answer the last couple of points:
    I brew pilsner, but largely because I can buy barley from wholesaler at 30CC. It takes too long to grow oneself, so really only worth buying it for pilsner.

Having said that, doing a small amount of sums suggests that if I buy barley at 30CC each, and need 3 per pilsner, that's 90CC per pilsner, or 12*90 = 1080CC per needs fullfillment from stadium. Since the stadium only gives out >1000CC for a few properties, and max is about 1200, I'm not sure I'll bother in the future. I could use the space the stadiums take up for a few more properties! :)

9. Arsuru

Arsuru User

I generally alternate barley and hops while I sleep or when I know I'll be away to take advantage of the time. Almost nothing is worth supplying to capitalists if you buy it now and there are better things for PP/EP, so I make ale and pilsner for almost no reason. Right now I'm building up a huge stock in case it's ever useful, and I'll sell the surplus. Just like with bakery products.

10. Geflin

Geflin User

I think the events, which need revamping anyways, could be a great outlet for barley and barley based goods. The increased need/demand would create increased production and selling of barley, and stimulate overall growth. That stadium should be smaller, or should carry a greater need fulfillment for it's size (say, supply pretzels as well as pilsner, and double the needs revenues?). But I get the minimum price (wholesaler) thing. If too few are making and selling barley because it's just not profitable enough, why is it odd the government (devs) steps in and subsidizes the market with cheap barley so those who need to buy it, can? Otherwise, the few barley offers available would likely be outrageously priced as "luxury" commodities.

11. Arsuru

Arsuru User

They already are outrageously priced luxury commodities. Only point in supplying is for experience.

TellusXIV likes this.
  12. brucenic

brucenic User

What do you think the barley price would be if the "government" hadn't flooded the market?
    Do you think that would make a difference to how many people were making it and selling it?

I believe the price would be higher, and there would be plenty of offers.

13. billyjim

billyjim User

I produce barley continously and can not produce enough to meet demand from one of my farms. I have so many buildings upgraded to the level needing the stadium I am about to build a second one. Now to find room for it. The joys of getting up into the upper middle class. I would love to find additional uses for barley and I am a constant purchaser. So thank you.

14. Geflin

Geflin User

Exactly what I was saying....and exactly how capitalism economics actually work in reality. I think the subsidizing is good. How many players, if they saw NO barley offers at all (meaning the 30 per unit ones especially), would sell theirs as highly priced as possible (knowing some players would need to buy/be unable to produce barley and therefore would have to pay up)?

15. Geflin

Geflin User

Now, not to confuse threads or hijack, but would love to be able to gift you a few thousand barley ;)

16. billyjim

billyjim User

Thanks for the kind thoughts. But, spend your resources on something you need Wheat, Potatoes, Tomatoes, etc. :D:D

Geflin likes this.
  17. Geflin

Geflin User

At present, my larders are overflowing ;) barley is what I have the least of, and that's like 37k barley :eek: When there is no event running, I am often at a loss as to what to run my production for...the exception being construction materials. Goodness knows I have so many upgrades to do, I can barely keep up. But, alas, have 5 million pp and constantly growing (only so many mills and brickyards ya know). But to keep with the thread here....this is exactly why the devs are subsidizing barley in the market. We should be lucky that there is no real need for them to do that with every product; a capitalist at heart, I can appreciate both a good buy and the ability to generate needed funds quick by selling surplus goods. News flash: When George Orwell wrote 1984 he was not overly concerned with pork bellies and grain futures (lol):rolleyes:

18. billyjim

billyjim User

Good old George got so many things wrong. Pork bellies and grain futures do control the world much more thoroughly (not to mention OPEC and the mining cartels) than the governments ever could. He never conceived of the internet, but he did imply its existence in the book, just got it the wrong way around; Not the government running it (they did create it), but the corporations (Facebook, Google, etc. Enough history of political satire.

I also will get back on topic: I would love to have any of the proposed solutions adopted. My main concern and purpose is to instll restraint. Some of the people posting sound like they want unlimited production capabilities. In my opinion that would be a disaster. Just as to little production is an issue now. From a capitalist with someone watching philosophy. :rolleyes: More Teddy Roosevelt less Howard Taft. :D

Geflin likes this.
  19. Geflin

Geflin User

We should sooooooo sit down to a pint on me, Sir. Checks & balances should be the watchwords, yes. Frankly, I am having a hard time understanding why there was any concern over "wholesaling" by BP admin to begin with. Of course, there are flaws in the system (as with any), but excellent solutions have indeed been suggested. Now, let's hope the devs take note and make something happen:cool:

20. billyjim

billyjim User

We can only hope and dream. Thanks for the invite. But we need a long bar to reach halfway across the continent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.