Boats Ahoy? Ocean Expansion?

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Geflin, Apr 20, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
?

Should there be more (residential) "boat"/ocean permits, to fill the open waters?

Poll closed Oct 20, 2015.
  1. Yes, there are too few residential boat/ocean permits; we need more types & permits.

96.3%
  2. No, the boat permits we have are sufficient.

3.7%
  3. Other (Please state what in a reply to the post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arsuru

Arsuru User

Tell that to Ravenna, Venice, or Amsterdam, among others, and the thousands of houseboats afloat as we breathe. :rolleyes: Let us take our stilt houses to sea!
    Fabulous! Fits right in.

I wouldn't mind emergencies in other fields, honestly, and lifeguards have been suggested. Just expanding the current system, I have way more than enough substations to cover them. Just wish there would be a way to pause them rather than simply deactivating. Guess I could just log out when I step away…

Andrewjf likes this.
  2. Krassandra

Krassandra User

Pause = Deactivate now + Activate later ;)
    I just switch to suburb when I step away ;)

3. Arsuru

Arsuru User

The problem with deactivating is that it puts the main buildings in your inventory no matter what, and it may mess up your mood/power when you place them again.

I mean, I'd have to log out to step away if it were expanded to other fields. A simple pause would have been much easier and more effective than forcing the buildings off of the field. Many of us don't want to turn it off permanently but may not always be able to attend to it.

4. Krassandra

Krassandra User

The citizens don't like to feel helpless so losing some mood is not too great price for getting rid of emergencies...
    Emergency is bad accident, not something player should "turn on" to get some medals...

5. Andrewjf

Andrewjf User

They were all singing "The Owl and the Pus*y Cat"..... :D:p

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    billyjim likes this.
  6. Arsuru

Arsuru User

It's not about loosing mood, the associated bug has affected some people when they move them on/out of inventory.

Medals are the only point to turn it on. This isn't like disasters in what I think is that game in that other thread you mentioned but I didn't see before it was edited. =/

Andrewjf likes this.
  7. Geflin

Geflin User

Would laugh my feathers off but apparently it's not safe to be naked in jail. Fortunately, as a career paralegal, I know good lawyers. Somebody post bail for the race car please....will need to avoid other seagulls seeking revenge upon my release. Plan to move well out beyond the breakers, say twelve miles, where there is no extradition. BP/RC....please give me a new kind of houseboat or something to live in?

Andrewjf likes this.
  8. Krassandra

Krassandra User

I personally find the system where "disaster" is something you "order" just to get some medals and exchange them to material benefits quite strange and somewhat unpleasant.

Jello likes this.
  9. billyjim

billyjim User

We are getting off topic again this thread is about expanding the number of resdences available for the ocean plots.

Back on topic. We could always use more and varied residences for these limited use areas. Any suggestions.

Geflin and Andrewjf like this.
  10. Geflin

Geflin User

I agree...back on topic. There have been some great ideas suggested already, and I am at a loss for what to add. But even if they'd just go with Mr. Crowley's fill in land squares idea, we'd have some extra room for all our accumulated houses. Would love to hear any other ideas anyone might have.

11. Krassandra

Krassandra User

I think it's better to keep the sea a water surface and don't provoke players to fill every inch of their city (even if it's water inch) by someone's house :(

12. billyjim

billyjim User

I am using the sea squares mostly for decorations they have some really nice ones with decent mood bonuses.

13. Arsuru

Arsuru User

Time to get arcologies going then.

Andrewjf likes this.
  14. Krassandra

Krassandra User

Me too, but I think if the water become just another type of land, it limits the variety :(

15. Arsuru

Arsuru User

But water is already another type of land, that happens to have limited variety due to the limited permits. People that want to fill any terrain will do it weather there are new permits or not. More variety would rarely be bad for this type of game. If land is limited, yes, people will ask for more, but if it doesn't come, then more permits still give more choice, thus more variety.

16. Krassandra

Krassandra User

If water differs from land by only the available type of houses, that's not a "variety" or "choice" - in fact, that's all the same :(:(:(

I'd like to see REAL variety :oops:

17. Geflin

Geflin User

Thank you, Krassandra, for this insight. Now this is a disagreement I can agree with :) I had not considered in my original idea that covering up all the water with floating residences would negate the variety of the setting and deco specific to that setting. I would modify my original suggestion in that available water borne building permits should not exceed let's saY 60-75% of available water spaces...the remaining 25-40% being reserved for deco or just staying water. In this way, the need for move living space would be accommodated but the unique nature of the water areas would not be lost in a floating city. The bird acknowledges your wisdom ;)

18. Krassandra

Krassandra User

No chance.
    Players HATE :mad::mad::mad: any explicitly artificial limits. "Hey, you don't teach us how many roads and parks do you have to place in city but forbid us to place another mermaid house because of some percents? Are you kidding?"
    I would hate that too, by the way :rolleyes:
    Still no real variety. The difference in percentage allowed to fill by houses is too mechanical. I think every landscape should be different by its essence...

19. Geflin

Geflin User

Actually, the game is already doing exactly what you say you hate...telling me I cannot build floating houses on any water beyond what can be covered by the few available permits....or buy more of those permits meaning I can not build a different type of boat and have variety. It cannot be both ways. Anyhow, I was simply trying to acknowledge you had a good point in saying if we covered all the water it would be just the same as the city (thus no variety). That doesn't mean we should not be able to put a few more types of floating residentials out, or that this wouldn't alleviate some of the pressure of the land shortage.

20. Krassandra

Krassandra User

Building permits limit doesn't raise so negative emotions because:
    1)it doesn't look so explicitly artificial (deep inside we realize they SHOULD be some limit)
    2)that's a single limit
    3)we're accustomed to it so often don't notice.

But if you introduce some new "math" limit in addition to existing one... oh well, the price on tomatoes will double, because so many people will buy them just to throw on you... :rolleyes:
    That's a typical "false variety".

TOPs often build every possible house regardless of its type and usefulness. In this case, "variety" is just an excuse to get more permits. No matter how really different these new houses are - they rush for quantity, after all...
    What I call true variety is the choice you make on Lvl 4 upgrade. More rent or less mood loss - that's a choice, minor but important. RI's are also various; but the residential houses that in fact differs from each other only by some stat numbers AREN'T.

I'd like to see some real variety in the game, not just more permits for the building with slightly different appearance and rent cycle o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.