bye guys

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by fred1471, Mar 16, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred1471

fred1471 User

I am over the lack of communication for the developers.
    Bugs that last over a year are not fixed or given a reason why.
    All the big players calling out for many changes which there is no word of any coming.
    Think BP don't care about this game as it is not their main bread winner any more.

Have 300 hours rent collector left but just couldn't be bothered.

Thanks to the mods that actually are the only good part of this game left.

I am a man of my word will check back before the 300 hours is up to see for announcements.
    But just couldn't be bothered playing daily can never keep citizens happy

thanks to the nice people here might log in 2 times in the 300 hours.
    But will never play another BP game or spend more on one again

2. billyjim

billyjim User

Good bye Fred :(

3. honeywest

honeywest User

Never say never, Fred. I, too, left the game for awhile, and came back. You never know, in 6 mos. or a year you may want to come back and play again for awhile. I can attest to the fact that your city will still be there, just the way you left it. Now, I have fun and just relax. Do I want new events? Yes. Do I want bugs fixed? Yes. Do I wish the devs paid more attention to their paying customers? Heck yeah! But, I don't spend much and won't until they do. I just take my time and play for the fun of it. There have been some good changes since I was playing before that have now made me happy. I have decided to just go with the flow. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

4. honeywest

honeywest User

I agree, Krassandra. That's why I just take my time, try not to grow too fast and the end result is I steadily grow bigger, but I don't lose out on power or happiness while I am doing it. :D

tpaintdoc05 likes this.
  5. Arsuru

Arsuru User

@Krassandra You can enjoy a leisurely pace. Even going fast, it's leisurely, so you must be going especially slow. I'm fine with the pace. It's not a race, but you'll get to a point where it takes a couple weeks to level, so I doubt you could reach the top 'very fast'. Many of us have played all day every for over a year or two and are not at the top. A lot of money (i.e. hundreds or even thousands) can make you go fast, yes. A game like this, usually, they want to keep you in the game — often — because the model depends on it. You have to play at least daily to progress at any reasonable speed. Right now there are a lot of empty levels, which slows it down.

The problem isn't a lack of development. It isn't a complex game; they usually add new buildings and fields, not features. There isn't anything to really get you lost. The problem is a lack of anything in general, that players are upset by. Farmerama, another BP game, seems similar in concept/style and gets news every month from the looks of it, for example. People are disheartened here because they get nothing, not even bugfixes. Some new content (without fixing what is already there), over the past year, but a lot of nothing, after a lot of promises and little explanation as to what progress is being made concerning standing issues or possible new development.

Most people find this isn't normal behavior for a company. Some would call it negligent or irresponsible, especially to let mods that volunteer take care of serious bugs constantly for so long, leaving players in the dark.

tpaintdoc05 and fred1471 like this.
  6. Arsuru

Arsuru User

1) What does your server matter? I'm not on the main English one either.
    2) I think many if us do, and I don't think there is anything that can make you go 'very fast' other than paying a lot.
    3) Paying is one thing. I'm not against that. But the only way I see to go 'very fast' is to pay a disproportionate amount of money. Literally, thousands. That isn't reasonable, at least to me. As you say, this is not WoW, or any other MMO. You have to pay way more in comparison to go 'very fast'.

For some context, 'very fast' to me would be maybe a few months, tops, for this kind of game. The 'rise before your eyes' the game advertizes with MM means paying for every single thing constantly, thus very large sums of money.
    Not a developer (did some modding though), but I know how these things work too, and I have to agree. Everything they do makes it seem unimportant, but still, there was a huge shift from regular attention to almost none at all.

7. Arsuru

Arsuru User

Though we connect from different servers, I don't think we are actually separated as players like some games would do. The forums are semi-separated though. I was thinking that you thought there was some actual difference between servers.

And I'm sure most don't a real strategy, but I think many do. At least anyone that has gotten relatively high. I think I go pretty fast (level 56.6 in about 19 months), and I know I could go faster if I got rid of some lower-level housing and used the loot-o-matic more (dat XP).

As far as re-planning, I see that, but at least for me, it isn't about adding to or changing the game to that degree, just fixing it. It's stable now and can keep people around long enough, which is probably what they were after. I don't really see how customer turnover typical strategy though, or a strategy at all, even considering the high turnover, competition, and model of these kinds of games. If the game isn't meant to be big or long-term, or is just a test or not profitable enough, it won't matter if they close it anyway despite the number of players. If it's successful, then they have a better fanbase.

Anyway, stay or go Fred, have fun.

8. honeywest

honeywest User

Krassandra, believe me, I have learned my lesson about "niche" games such as these, and I think that you are correct. I played Farmerama and spent waaay too much money and had to leave the game before I spent more. I never played Skyrama, but can see that it is quite similar, but with a different basic concept of an airport type thing. I came to RC after a six month hiatus from Farmerama, but with open eyes. I have spent 1/10th of what I spent there over a longer period of time. Thank goodness I learned. Now, I find it is more important to just have fun, take my time, spend a little here and there and watch my city grow. However, all that being said, I do think that it is the developers' job to keep as many customers happy as you can, and that some fairly simple bug fixes could be done. Speaking to the community more than once every two years can certainly be done. And, once in awhile throw in some new prizes for the same old events. I think just those three things would keep a majority of players pretty happy and may even get them to spend a little bit of money in the long run.

Krassandra likes this.
  9. Geflin

Geflin User

Krassandra seems to be missing the point...that we are talking about years going by with not one word from the devs, that the mods are not given information to convey to us for weeks on end even when a major problem is affecting a majority of players in two world hemispheres. We are not talking about how fast the game plays or how fast our cities grow...we are talking the poor business practice of disregarding those you consider a customer base. This may be a free game, but if BP wants to make money (they do) they want even free players to spend money when they can. The way (good business) to get customers to spend is not to ignore them. Just because YOU tire out on such games quickly doesn't mean everyone does. I've played the game for years, and still will play. Doesn't mean I like being treated like an insignificant cog instead of a valued potential source of revenue. If the excuses you make for BP's shortcomings are true then they are a bad business model; if this is the "norm" then perhaps I would be better off spending my money with companies that give a hoot about keeping their customers. The fact RC has become unprofitable is partly due to this mishandling of PR and communication. Will miss you Fred, and wish you would not go. BP/RC has been making changes, albeit slow ones. Wishing you good journey if go you must ;)

TCRooster likes this.
  10. Geflin

Geflin User

You are absolutely right....and absolutely wrong. Everything you say is quite true, but doesn't apply to everybody. Personally I feel the very idea of "it's possible to make money even if you don't pay attention to the customers" is exactly the sort of money worshiping idiocy that is wrong with the business world these days. Call me old fashioned but I believe in taking pride in one's work, caring about one's clients, and simply doing good business rather than attaching myself to a customer base like some money leach. I make good money (paralegal) but I work my tail off doing it; if I were to exhibit the same work ethic you seem to think is normal and ok (relative to these online game companies) I would soon be out of clients and out of attorneys willing to let me work under them. Just because it is an online game does not mean bad business practices should become an acceptable norm. Further, I do not need WOW to keep me online all day; I am a chronic insomniac and play many games as well as do work at many differing hours. In a nutshell, one set of accurate facts is not necessarily "right" for every single person. I for one will not make excuses for BP. I praise them when it's called for, and I complain when that is called for. I stick with the game because I like it. But I was raised to believe a quiet mouth doesn't get fed and the squeaky wheel gets the grease; therefore I will not (personally) subscribe to a position that "everybody these days fleeces and ignores their customers and moves on after they make a quick buck so that is normal and ok business behavior".

11. Geflin

Geflin User

I simply DO understand. What you keep failing to comprehend about what I've been saying is I personally choose to have higher standards, principles, and honor...and that is at odds with the type of business you describe. I understand "normal" practices are "different" for different businesses..I get that you assert it's alright for temporary free internet game businesses to work this way. You don't get that, metaphorically speaking mind you, I am cut from the cloth of "if it does something wrong eradicate it before it infects us all". The more you argue this is how such businesses work, the more I feel a law should be passed barring anyone from doing business that way. Of course I don't truly believe that...just struggling for a way to get you to understand how utterly repugnant, disgusting, and offensive I find that kind of business conduct to be. There is no excuse for it, it will never be good business (unless your only consideration is whether or not you are making money...and if that's how you do business you'll never make one cent of MY money). I don't think RC is as bad as you are making excuses for, and I am thankful for that. I think they do care, and it shows every now and then. I have a 20+ year long legal career inclusive of business law and economics...do you truly think I don't know or understand what you've been saying?

12. Geflin

Geflin User

1) I am a self-employed contract paralegal: I most certainly do apply those principles to my own business. Yes it is their business and their decision, never said it was not. But again you are off the point....it is MY business as a potential PAYING customer, to voice to any company I do business with my satisfaction and/or displeasure with their practices. Your implication that customers must simply accept bad business practices because it's not their decision how businesses choose to run themselves is laughably ludicrous and ignores the most basic economic principle of all: if you choose to do business in ways that drive off customers, eventually you will have NO customers and thus NO business.
    2) Umm, again your assertion is off point: are you suggesting that because I am not an online game entrepreneur that I lack the necessary knowledge of whether or not I choose to patronize a business as a customer? You say developers know more than a common player...equate that with lawyers and paralegals know more about law than their clients. Does that mean I would be engaging in good business and that it was my right to decide to do business that way if you hired me and paid me $10,000 to handle your case...and taking your money, I did nothing and said nothing to you for an entire year? Or even if I gave you a free consultation (free game) and offered my services if you paid for them (like the game) and then ignored your next dozens calls, causing you to run out of time to file? Because that is exactly what your comment suggests. Good business and bad business, like any behavior, is not differential by the nature of the business. Online or offline, it is not good business to ignore the needs and wants of those whose money you are in the business to get.
    3) I am still here because (thank goodness) BP/RC is nowhere near as cold hearted or greedy as you advocate to be acceptable business for online gaming developers being. I have seen proof they listen to us players who take the time to voice their concerns. I have seen new additions to the game and have spent money on game extras. But to use your fast food model example: I love McDonald's and am a patron, but that doesn't mean if McDonald's at 555 X St. always takes a half hour to cook a Big Mac that I will just stand there and wait rather than complain to the manager. Fast food vs restaurant=different:TRUE ....being subjected to poor customer service in either business = different because they are different types of businesses (as you imply): FALSE. If, after all our conversation, you still fail to recognize this core point is what everything is about...this conversation is worthless. Your idea of just don't give that business my money is not entirely accurate, because that is a passive solution and I choose an assertive one which is the other option available...speak up instead of accept, and if the business makes no changes then don't give them your money. Honestly, I can't understand how you think the mere fact this is an online rather than offline business venture makes it ok (or wise as a business model) to change the basic truth that a business that sells a poor product or renders inadequate service will eventually have no customers to sell to. Here is where we seem to differ (in my opinion)...you think it's ok because it's a free game so if they run it into the ground no big deal go play the next freebie ....I think it's not ok because it's just not good business. But I am not here because it's FREE as opposed to costing money, I'm here because I like the game. I gladly spend money when/if the product satisfies me as a customer. I truly think RC could be a pay to play game if BP stepped up it's practices. I, for one, would pay a yearly membership to play RC if necessary; even as it is now, and more so if they got on top of new events, production, communication etc.

hedymay likes this.
  13. Kiriana

Kiriana User

Sorry to see you go Fred...come on back someday?;)

hedymay likes this.
  14. Arsuru

Arsuru User

You both have valid points. In general, I agree that the market and money rule, and ultimately it always comes down to that. A big problem is people not putting their money where their mouth is. People buy the very things they complain all day about, supporting exactly what they are against.

You also have marketing and social pressures that encourage you to consume. Those forces cannot be underestimated. Legitimate necessity and limited availability is a factor. People can be weak and businesses take advantage of that. When the only quality consumers know is bad and planned obsolescence and waste is normalized then you get a market saturated with cheap, shoddy goods that nonetheless fulfill a need, if not ideally, but the market is still doing it's job. People may get tired of it and make better quality goods, and then you have a vicious cycle.

So people find something they like, and comment on it. They like what a product gives, so when something changes, or doesn't, they say something because it can have an influence. If not to the company, possibly to other potential customers. They don't want to have to abandon a product they enjoy or see it disappear/change. The can be too weak to walk away. Some do though but come check now and then because they are still interested.

Of course people always complain about something, but it doesn't mean they dislike it as a whole and want to leave. I've rarely found a game or anything that I can make absolutely no criticism of.

hedymay and Kiriana like this.
  15. Kiriana

Kiriana User

Wise words Asuru, and exactly what Geflin has been trying to say. Krassandra makes it seem as if the only choices are buy it or leave it because 'that's how the market works'. He has been trying to explain that some people feel like opening their mouths to speak their mind (positive or negative alike) is JUST as powerful a tool as buying or not buying, and that withholding one's custom should be resorted to only if voicing concern garners no resolution. Thank you for wording it so neatly:D

16. billyjim

billyjim User

Krassandra and Geflin and all others you both make valid points and are truely closer to each other than either of you wish to admit. Having read both of your postings in other threads. Krassandra you are correct that this is a business and BP is out to make money from us their customers. Geflin we are the customer and we have a right to be treated with respect for our money. Even as a "free" game players as non paying players generate income for BP as they count towards the number of players they can offer to advertisers when selling advertising. (want an analogy ratings for TV shows) The more players the higher the rate. This is why I beleive they reduced the pay out for the Cineplex a few weeks ago to reduce the cost to advertiser to get more advertising involved. If you have not noticed we have more and different advertisers now than before. So you are both right and you will never convert the other to your view point.

honeywest and Kiriana like this.
  17. Kiriana

Kiriana User

Geflin never sought to convert...which is why he kept acknowledging Krassandra she was right (he just kept saying it didn't mean his point was not accurate). You speak very well for a kitty, Sir Billyjim...methinks I likes you:p

billyjim likes this.
  18. billyjim

billyjim User

Thank you. :D I try my best here is an up close and personal Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

19. brucenic

brucenic User

This is why I beleive they reduced the pay out for the Cineplex a few weeks ago to reduce the cost to advertiser to get more advertising involved.

Why would the in game cost in any way be related to the actual cost to the advertiser? The advertiser is only interested in clicks. So, the more likely we are to click the more the advertiser would pay. By this thinking RC should give the player a higher reward to make sure that the first game task is to make sure every single film has been watched, every day.

Am I missing something?

Geflin likes this.
  20. Geflin

Geflin User

Exactly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.