Needs Fulfillment Mall

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Geflin, May 22, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
?

Should there be a "Mall" starting at Level 40, to consolidate commercial buildings?

Poll closed Nov 22, 2015.
  1. Yes, this would be a good way to save space and increase needs fulfillment coverage.

90.9%
  2. No, I see no need for a "Mall" to consolidate needs fulfillment.

9.1%
  3. Other (Please state what in a reply to the post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah, II understand that, but still, if you calculate the land covered by, let's say 2 stadium, 3 Smoothie bar, plus at least one Pizza Palace, Donut Shop and a beer garden, I think 4x4 or 5x5 would be reasonable :)
    About placing I meant moving the commercial building from the playfield/inventory in the mall. But, there are other ways, like, after you built the mall, when you click on it it would show a list with all product available in the game and you can "fill" the mall with the products you want to be delivered to your citizens.

2. Geflin

Geflin User

As I stated.....I really LIKE your idea and am grateful for the input; I am only uncertain whether or not BP/RC would commit to that kind of coding resources. Yes 4x4 is reasonable given the saved space, if you add your idea for additional capacity with each Level upgrade. Your product list/fill idea is wonderful; it could be just like the warehouse display with some modifications, and products supplied could be the determinative factor in revenues generated. That would ease up the code burden while expanding number of types of commercial buildings a Mall can replace. Excellent thinking, daniel ;) With each Level upgrade you could be allowed to select an additional number of product(s) and/or products supplied by commercial buildings that unlock later (such as the ice cream shoppe, bed n breakfast, cheese shops, etc.).

billyjim and daniel23492 like this.
  3. billyjim

billyjim User

Now you are getting the idea ;) That way you could customize the mall to the needs of the area served.

The service area could grow with each level also similar to the commercial buildings. Just like a local shopping center services the local community and larger shopping center will service several communitiies and a regional mall will service and entire area. For example: using a 4x4 base for the mall; Level 1 extend out maybe five squares from the outside edge of the mall; Level 2 say eight; Level 3 say twelve. The level three mall would cover an area of 28 x 28. That would cover nine plots of the city map.

Geflin likes this.
  4. Geflin

Geflin User

Initial coverage area was to be equal to a Water Tank tower from the Emergency system, adding like 3x3 per upgrade level. The purpose is to open up a lot of land for other buildings while increasing overall needs coverage. Believe me, these Malls (if they happen) will be expensive to get/build and you'll want them to cover as much area as possible.

5. Arsuru

Arsuru User

Several menu slots becoming available each level to chose what you want is pretty much what I've been proposing all along. My only reservations with mountain/water commercials is that it's not all that necessary unless you really cram in the buildings, and depending on the size of the mall may not really save much space replacing only two or three commercials as you may need only one of each (more applicable to the mountain). Plus, it can remove some of the charm of those fields.

I am still for including all products though, especially to provide the stadium to the water buildings, a task which is demanding in space and restricted in placement. A stadium on the roof or inside is a good idea to justify its inclusion in a mall, plus it's not unreal, though that would probably require the mall to be 4x4, unless they lower seating capacity (not unlike the Athletes' Hotel). :p The range of the stadium is too small considering its footprint and that of most of the buildings that need it, giving you very limited range and placement options. A mall in the mountain would greatly benefit the small area of normal land especially. The stone terrace, golden linings, and slate manor, and their commercials all require really restrictive placement at the edges of the terrain types to fill their needs, meaning little diversity.

I agree that a mall could reasonably cover a whole field if it's suitably large, though perhaps only at the highest upgrade level, as I still like the idea of having smaller, arcade-style malls. It would fit the scale, anyway. As for being at the edge of a city, that really depends. Usually, it's only the biggest malls that fall outside, but in bigger, denser cities there are plenty of such malls right in the center, especially in areas where outward expansion isn't an option. Some of the largest malls are in the centers of cities. I live near one: La Part-Dieu, a super-regional in Lyon proper, is among the largest that I know of to be found in a dense city-center (not the outskirts, a suburb or the metropolitan area/agglomeration), with about 130,100 m² of retail space and over 260 retailers.

Tying functional public transport to commerce is actually kind of interesting, but if a mall covers an entire field I don't see the need. If you could put subway/bus/tram stops that function to extend the range of the mall in a similar fashion as the emergency substations, that could be rather interesting. The only thing is the range of the mall would need to be not-too-large and the stations would have to meet at the borders of their range or overlap to actually be an extension, as opposed to the emergency stations that only need to cover a given area. At least this way, it would give pub-trans an actual purpose in the game and doesn't complicate the existing game with infrastructure.

The ranges billyjim proposes fit pretty well with what I've proposed if that approach is taken, however I think it's a bit small at level 1. I'd propose at least 16x16 (just above the highest ERS range), 22x22 and 28x28 (which would actually be 16 plots). That follows the general area guideline I proposed before concerning minimum range of equivalent commercials and allows some choice in placement, especially if transportation extension would be available, while not overwhelming any field. Without transportation, I think it would need to be a bit larger to properly accommodate the coast and mountain, so as to avoid the edge-cramming or multiple malls.

Geflin and billyjim like this.
  6. billyjim

billyjim User

I stand corrected and it would be practical to have two or three malls to cover a whole play fields To me this would be awesome then we would not need multibple individual stores. Except to fill in the obvious holes in coverage. I am loving it more and more. I started on the small side to make it more tempting to upgrade. But your suggestion would be fine with me.

Geflin likes this.
  7. wrighty8

wrighty8 User

so does this mean we get more space??? room for more buildings??? another playing field ???? zzzzzzzzzz oh sorry I just woke up and thought some one said we were going to get more room back to sleep. will some one wake me when we get some more blooming room to build on !!!! WRIGHTY8 4685170

Andrewjf likes this.
  8. billyjim

billyjim User

May we dream together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.