rotating buildings

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by haemophile, Dec 13, 2013.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizardelo

wizardelo User

from the graphics point of view rotating means all homes need another image for the rotated view. and thats only if you rotate it once.
    i havent counted all the items in this game but there are quite alot!
    sorry but i dont see this happening, unless they hire an army of designers with the sole purpose is to draw each building on a rotated view.

i still give this a thumbs up, as i would like it also.

2. jasmine182

jasmine182 User

I agree, you should most definitely be able to rotate the damn objects!!!! you can on that FARMARAMA game, so why not here BIGPOINT???

3. With the new playfield resulting in a lot of house moving and rearangements the need for rotation tool stood out again for me. I hade some ideas about what I wanted to do based on the playfield shapes and structures but can't. I am starting to consider it a real nuisance that it's not possible to rearrange non-square houses the way I want to. It seems such a silly limiting factor. Why hasn't it been addressed yet by the team?

4. Well, I had (and still have) this problem. But i learned how to combined two different types of buildings. For example, I have some problems with Designer duplexes. Therefor, instead of rotating it, i use one Vintage Duplex.

5. One can learn to deal with it, right. But why should we? Isn't rotation much much better solution?

6. Perhaps. But, in my case, the result was better. Instead of being a large group of Vintage Duplexes, is a combo of Vintage Duplexes and Designer Depot.

7. In my case, what I want is always better. :D :p :D Otherwise I wouldn't want that. :)

8. billyjim

billyjim User

I always liked playing tetras.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  9. this impementation would also mean you can rotate houses to face the road to make it look nicer

babyfaced likes this.
  10. That's what I am after. To make it look as much as I want it to. :)

11. it would great improve the game and make it look nice

12. babyfaced

babyfaced User

I'm with both of you. Maybe it's an OCD of mine, but it drives me mad when a house is facing away from the road. :eek:

13. There is too much to be improved visualy. Not sure it's all possible with this platform and concept, but too many things I don't like the way they look. All too limited, all too artificial.

14. garrius

garrius User

A rotation tool would be good, however I enjoy the challenge of working out where to place the buildings to best serve their needs. A rotation tool would make the game too easy and boredom could set in.

15. I actually don't care about the needs at all. Only about beauty. If it was my way, I would have complete degree rotation, not just right angle switch.

16. garrius we are not really after making it easier to play we want it to look nice

17. all this time we've been talking about rotating buildings, they still haven't done a thing about it.

18. Tamy

Tamy User

Check Wizz's post from February. This improvement demands huge amount of designing (preparing four fronts for each item in the game) and I"m quite sure it will also cost lots of computing power, and not sure at all their server can make it. This is why it may be better for us to think of less than optimal, but more feasible, solutions. I'd love to be able to rotate buildings, but would settle for something else that will allow me more flexibility in arrangement and enable more natural look of the city.
    I may be naive, but I think if we can figure out some feasible idea, and than keep screaming loud enough in this forum, and maybe export it also to other forums, it may be picked up.
    Oh, well, here is one lousy idea that is sure to be picked up: rotation tool that is conditioned on spending MM...:D

19. Arsuru

Arsuru User

I agree that this would take more memory and server strain, but I'm skeptical to a degree of how much extra designing effort it would take. The sprites in the game look so detailed that I expect them to have been made from screenshots of 3D models, so the designing part could already be done. The way the textures and lighting are, the lighting especially looks incredibly consistent between buildings and 3D modeling software is an ideal place to design buildings.

Besides how rapidly it can be done, you can more easily change the design, for example, the variations when upgrading, without needing to redraw too much. Maybe the back faces of the models haven't been modeled, but it would be a bit of a surprise.

I could be wrong though, but that's my feeling.

20. billyjim

billyjim User

We are still stuck in a grid pattern so there only needs to be only four views of each building. But, having designed a few building in my time and done some artwork professionally; The client or boss, in this case BP does not want you to "waste" time creating what is not needed. :( But, I agree the detail and the artwork is astounding and lighting effects are very well done. I just wish we could get views like the background picture to the forum of our cities. Sorry that needs to be another thread. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.